Monday, October 09, 2006

Lost in ye ol London Town

On Saturday I visited the World’s oldest surviving grand music hall... the Wilton’s Music Hall (http://www.wiltons.org.uk/). They are currently putting on ‘Amadeus’ by Peter Shaffer. The music hall was so secluded that even local proprietors had no idea where it was or even heard of it!

First, I must say something about the play, Amadeus itself. Matthew Kelly headed the cast as Antonio Salieri with Jonathan Broadbent as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole performance – I am proud to say I even recognised a few (well known) pieces of Mozart e.g. ‘The Marriage of Figaro’. But I have to confess, I had not heard of Salieri before the play... Kelly’s performance was mesmerising, I was transfixed to see how a simple item like a shawl could transform Kelly from a man in his peak to a withering old, slowly going insane with jealousy man, who one feels both sorry for and loathed. The whole production was a great joy to watch – the stage may not be as impressive as those in the West End but the performance by everyone and the musical arrangement was brilliant. I will now have to go watch the film version...

Ok, secondly I need to talk about the music hall itself... it certainly did not look very impressive from the outside – in fact it looked very much like a run down, old building housing ghouls and goblins than highly praised actors of such calibre. The interior of the music hall had obviously undergone some restoration – the fresh coat of paint on the ceiling, fitted disabled toilets and adequate ramp access. I did take a few photos of the auditorium and luckily tucked away my camera before I got told off by the usher, unlike the unlucky lady behind me!

This was a well spent day, I was entertained, educated and to follow had a lovely 3 course meal with fantastic company ;-)

Helen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home