Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New Year, New Beginnings!

Too much food, not enough sleep, which pretty sums up Chinese New Year celebration for me!

Whenever anyone visits my grandparents’ place, they never go away less than bursting round the waistband. I brought 2 dozens Krispy Kreme doughnuts especially for my cousins Lin and her young brother, Ming but the greedy car companion ate half a dozen on the drive up already! I had to literally hide the remaining doughnuts in the pantry when we arrived! I had already supplied them with an assortment of chocolate treats, drinks and fruits for the car journey!

After a long drive (being an entertaining passenger is hard work too...) one would expect a long sleep... oh no. Being Chinese New Year my uncle, Sung wanted to welcome the year by taking money from his nieces and nephews... and the easiest way he knows how is over the mah-jong table! We played until 5am that first night! I won’t even say how much I ended losing during my time up there! LOL

There are quite a few superstitious rules we try to follow for the New Year – one must not shower the day after New Year as it is believed to wash away all the luck (?), not to cook/use knives, sweep/throw rubbish out, swear... that’s all I know and *try* to abide by.

Saturday 24th
When I graduated in 2005 I was so glad that I am no longer a student – that was until Shirin (and the constant nagging from my parents) talked me round into joining her at the College of Law to do the Legal Practice Course commencing this year. I went along to the Open Day on Saturday afternoon... I had a few errands to run in the morning so I had to forgo food and drink just to make it on time! I missed the ‘meet and greet’ refreshments at the start, so when the current students were giving us the tour round the campus, I was busy eyeing up the vending machine!

The Open Day lasted longer than I thought it would, and by the time we got to Ten Ten Tei, I had lost my appetite! I didn’t manage to finish my chirashi (shock)!

Tuesday 27th
Trees and Duong arrived back from their ‘wedding dress, bridesmaid dress, and photo shoot buying trip’ on Sunday. Lee and I was suppose to pop round that night to check out what hideous bridesmaid dress Trees is subjecting Lin and me to (to be honest, I just wanted to see what souvenirs I got – was hoping she got me my favourite perfume, Miracle by Lancôme, instead I got 3 little cute perfume bottle filled with an indescribable scent!) but Lee had plans so was postponed to Monday instead... that idea got postponed again and we didn’t manage to meet up until last night.

Right, I knew the bridesmaid dresses were going to be mint green (when she called me on Monday she told me and coincidently at the time I had on a mint green pashmina (a birthday present from Rani, ‘thank you’) – it’s a nice colour for accessories but as a dress, I was not convinced), and I emailed her my measurements... the dress turned out to be pretty nice but it doesn’t fit!!! No amount of dieting I do from now until September, I am not going to fit into the dress! My skeletal structure does not come that small! Hahaha

I have a meeting up town tomorrow, hopefully afterwards I can make use of late night shopping and check out a few department stores for ideas on possible bridesmaid dresses. But then again, I am planning to meet up with Shirin, we might just sit round drinking coffee/tea and eat cakes (yay, no diet regime for me)! LOL

Wednesday 28th
Oh, I had a lot of time in between meetings today and forgot to bring a book out with me (spent a lot of time in coffee shops trying to avoid drowning in the rain!) so on an off chance I brought a chicklit from WH Smith. I brought Chris Manby’s ‘Girl Meets Ape’, so far so good – the start of the book sees the girl attending a hen party she ‘organised’ for her best friend, starting a new job and finding out one of the employees working with her was the stripper from that night...

Helen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home