Thursday, October 12, 2006

Humour is a very sexy quality to have ;-)

I saw ‘The Great Escape’ on the big screen last night thinking it would be a very intense, serious movie about prisoners trying to escape from a Nazi concentration camp... I was very pleasantly surprised to find it humorous and seeing the magnetism of the late Steve McQueen.

I went to see ‘The Thomas Crown Affair’ about a month ago at the same venue and did not think too much of McQueen but at last nights viewing I have come to realise that humour is very attractive quality to possess – the little glint in ones eye and the smirk from someone who does not take themselves too seriously...

For those of you have not seen the movie you can find out more about it via this link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115 and for those who appreciate the simple but ingenious work of Mr Elmer Bernstein for the soundtrack you can have a taster from here: http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/thegreatescape.htm
(I was whistling this tune in my head throughout the train journey home afterwards!).

I am not doing the film any justice merely by going on about McQueen as the rest of the cast were excellent. I was surprised that I recognised quite a few of the main cast but not recalling their names until the credits came up. There were even a (solo) standing ovation from a gentleman sitting at the front of the screen.

I have not seen an entire episode of ‘Ello Ello’ or sat through ‘Chicken Run’ but I can see that they took inspiration from ‘The Great Escape’.

Prior to the movie, I had to make a very mad dash to Waitrose on the other side of the venue as they did not serve any hot food! I fully expected hot food to be served, as last time they offered this service – I had 25 minutes to get to Waitrose, queue up, place my order of pilau rice with chicken korma, samosa and onion bhaji for my friend and then a roast chicken and potato wedges for myself, queue up to pay and then rush back just as the lights dimmed!

Helen

4 Comments:

At 9:50 pm, Blogger Martin Sewell said...

I'm surprised that you've not seen The Great Escape before, it is shown just about every Christmas! I guess you're too active to watch much TV. :-) I agree it's a great film.

 
At 7:18 pm, Blogger The Pink Hat said...

I couldn't believe it either - that's why we went to see it!

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger Martin Sewell said...

The pink hat, if you watched it at the cinema, I'm glad I wasn't sitting behind you!

 
At 9:19 pm, Blogger RavingLoonyLawyers said...

I have not seen The Great Escape because I am usually in the kitchen slaving away making dinner or round families... well that I have seen it I can cross that off my list of films I must watch - next is the original Italian Job (watching the 2002 'remake' tonight).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home